Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Folkestone Rugby Club app


Under 17's - Match centre

M Candido (2), Unknown, L Watson
Unknown (2)
Sun 29 Oct 11:00 - Kent RFU Youth League - U17 Division 2 Full time

U17's earn a draw at Whitstable in the dying minutes of the game.


Folkestone visited a breezy Whitstable for the next game in the Kent U17’s league. Whitstable have dominated this fixture in recent years so the young Stones knew they were in for a tough game and it so proved.

Whitstable U17’s 24 v Folkestone U17’s 24
Sunday 29th October 2017 Kent U17 League. Report from Andy Parmenter.

Folkestone visited a breezy Whitstable for the next game in the Kent U17’s league. Whitstable have dominated this fixture in recent years so the young Stones knew they were in for a tough game and it so proved.

Folkestone kicked off and Whitstable carried into the away sides half before kicking ahead. Folkestone full back caught and cleared the kick, but two of his team mates ran forward from an offside position and this was picked up by the touch judge. Today the ref had 2 touch judges working with him and they were all miked up. This meant there were a couple of extra pairs of eyes to watch for infringements. Anyway from the penalty for offside, Whitstable crossed in the corner to make it 5-0 after a few minutes.

Folkestone came back strongly and camped in the Whitstable half, but couldn’t make the pressure tell. More composure was needed and rather than rushing their plays, Stones needed to think better about their options, including kicking a penalty in front of the posts rather than running it and being turned over.

Eventually Whitstable were able to clear their lines and got into Folkestone’s half where the away side infringed again. A quick tap and go led to Folkestone being caught offside. Another tap and go from Whitstable’s quick thinking 9 led to Folkestone not retreating and from the subsequent penalty 10 metres further forward the home side crashed over for a converted try. 12-0. Folkestone declined to chase the kick off which allowed Whitstable to gain territory and they again scored a try. 17-0.

Folkestone then woke up and took the game to Whitstable. Strong scrummaging and pick and goes allowed the ball to come to Michael Candido who spotted a gap and crossed close to the posts for a converted try, kicked by Tyler Edwards. 17-7. Whitstable came back and in the final throes of the half scored. Their kicker converted from wide out to add the extra 2 points and the whistle blew for half time with Whitstable leading 24-7.

It looked as though Whitstable had a decent lead, especially in light of their record against Folkestone at this age level of the past few years. As the half went on both teams couldn’t find a way through the other’s defences or poor handling led to missed opportunities for both teams. Folkestone’s dynamism increased and with the wind more in their favour than the first half and playing down the slope started to cause Whitstable some problems. A penalty to Folkestone on the 10 metre line saw a kick to the left corner, Sam Perez sprinted down his wing to beat the Whitstable defence to score. Edwards kicked a great conversion to add the extras. 24-14.

With around 10 minutes remaining Whitstable came back, but conceded another penalty in Stone’s 22. A Whitstable player gave the ref some back chat so the penalty was advanced by 10 metres and the player yellow carded. Folkestone cleared down field and after winning a lineout Louis Watson crossed for a try, but this wasn’t converted. 24-19. Back came Whitstable and as their number 8 ran into contact he put his elbow into Joe Himbury’s face. The touch judge intervened and the player was sin binned. Folkestone now had a few minutes of having 2 more players than Whitstable and attacked wide out. They couldn’t make the try line and were penalised for sealing off. Into the last minute and Folkestone won the Whitstable line out. The ball went through some phases before Michael Candido crossed for his second. 24-24. With the last kick of the game Tyler Edwards couldn’t replicate his accuracy of earlier in the match and was just wide.

The final whistle blew with the score at 24 all.

Joe Himbury was Folkestone’s man of the match with an outstanding display of tackling, rucking and support. Joe took the game to Whitstable and was always a pest to them.

Team: Jacob Rencen, Josh Graham, Louis Watson, Ross Gilchrist, Sam Perez, Michael Candido, Mark Ip-Lloyd, Will Guy, Ki Lee-Thomas, Brendon Atkinson, Joe Himbury, Thomas Clarke, Nat Parmenter, Tyler Edwards, Isaac Howes.

Scorers: Michael Candido 5, 5; Tyler Edwards 2, 2; Sam Perez 5; Louis Watson 5.

Key moments

Try Michael Candido scores for Folkestone
Conversion Conversion for Folkestone
Try Try for Folkestone
Conversion Conversion for Folkestone
Try Louis Watson scores for Folkestone
Try Michael Candido scores for Folkestone


View 0 new events
79:00 Missed Conversion
Conversion missed for Folkestone
78:00 Try 0 - 24
Michael Candido scores for Folkestone
76:00 Missed Conversion
Conversion missed for Folkestone
75:00 Try 0 - 19
Louis Watson scores for Folkestone
67:00 Try 0 - 12
Try for Folkestone
67:00 Conversion 0 - 14
Conversion for Folkestone
End of period 1
37:00 Try 0 - 5
Michael Candido scores for Folkestone
37:00 Conversion 0 - 7
Conversion for Folkestone
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Whitstable
  • Folkestone
  • 0
  • Michael Candido Try 37:00'
  • Conversion 37:00'
  • Try 67:00'
  • Conversion 67:00'
  • Louis Watson Try 75:00'
  • Michael Candido Try 78:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other U17 Division 2 results

Aylesford Bulls

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Aylesford Bulls 6 27
2. Whitstable 6 24
3. Westcombe Park 6 24
4. Beckenham 6 17
5. Folkestone 6 17
6. Ashford 6 13
7. Ash 6 8

Team sponsor


Club sponsors