Sat 07
Faversham 2ndXV
3rd XV
[b]Faversham 2ndXV	0	Folkestone 3rdXV	80[/b]

[b]Faversham 2ndXV 0 Folkestone 3rdXV 80[/b]

By Alex Ruddock
Share via

This was a shake down match with a wide range of players, some of the U18’s as well as some gnarled old boys

Faversham 2ndXV 0 Folkestone 2/3rdXV 80

Saturday 7th September 2019. Friendly Pre-Season Game. Report from Alex Ruddock.

This was a shake down match with a wide range of players, some of the U18’s as well as some gnarled old boys mixed in with some new players to the Club. The game was a match of four quarters with several substitutes available for both sides.
Although the rain held off under grey skies the wind did not abate all game blowing mainly down the pitch. In the last hour or so the clouds got higher and the sun shone down to take a bit of the chill away.

The game started with Folkestone going up the slight incline and Faversham fielded the kick and drove forward before passing the ball out and a good tackle by Freddie Faiers brought the big centre down. Folkestone forwards then drove the maul forward and gained quick ball out to the backs and Freddie Faiers sprinted down the right wing to score under the posts. Without waiting for the tee Callum Guy drop kicked the ball though the posts. 0-7 after 4 minutes.
The visitors fielded the re start and drove upfield with Jake Ellis, James Stewart and Ben Stringer making good ground before the ball was quickly passed out along the back line with aaron Robbins and Dan Hillier making good ground before Luke Simpson came in from full back but was tackled into touch. At the Faversham lineout Dave Ballard was able to win the ball in the air and a swift pass down to scrum half Callum Guy saw him link with Luke Simpson for a run in avoiding some tackles to score a try, which Callum Guy duly converted. 0-14.
Newcomer Kyle Shore, a prop, took the catch from the restart and made good ground driving forward and in the ensuing maul the ball was knocked on by Folkestone. Folkestone drove Faversham back in the scrum and the good ball produced a pass from Callum Guy out to fly half Jack Cox who then jinked his way over to score, Callum Guy converted. 0-21 after 13 minutes.
From a scrum awarded to Folkestone after a crooked lineout ball, again the pack made some good ground eventually Kyle Shore passed out to Jack Cox who waltzed in for his second try. Callum Guy’s conversion attempt rebounded of a post. 0-26.
The forwards were wanting to get into the thick of it with storming runs by Jake Ellis, James Stewart, Dave Ballard and Kyle Shore all combining to take the ball up into the hosts 22 metre area, but some knock ons limited their progress and there were several scrums where the Referee spoke to Kyle Shore and his opposite number about how they were going down, their positioning and binding at the set piece. This brought the first quarter to a close with the score 0-26 in Folkestone’s favour. It had proved hot work for both sides and water was taken on board.
The second session started with Jake Ellis catching the kick-off and storming through several opposition as he made fifty metres into the opposition’s half. However at an ensuing scrum Folkestone pushed too soon and conceded a penalty. The kick went to touch into Folkestone 22 metre area, but Dave Ballard jumping at two won the ball and passed off the top for Callum Guy to get the backs moving with Jack Cox having a jinking run, passing to Aaron Robbins who bludgeoned his way through tackles to pass to Dan Hillier who made ground to pass out to Freddie Faiers who went over for the try. Callum Guy got the kick over. 0-33 after 25 minutes.
The Referee was having more words with Kyle Shore and his opposite number about their binding and positioning at the next scrum. Then with Folkestone moving forward again they were penalised for going over the top and Faversham’s kick went into touch on the Folkestone five metre line. Their throw in was snaffled by Justin Lloyd-Cowden and Callum guy relieved the pressure with a clearing touch kick up to the ten metre line. The Faversham throw in was not straight and from the resulting scrum Jake Ellis came off the back making 25 metres passed out to Ross Clark who lost the ball in the tackle. From a Faversham knock on the Referee played advantage and Callum guy picked up and waltzed over for a try, he failed the conversion. 0-38.
From a Faversham scrum they were pushed back 10 metres and quick ball from Callum Guy out to Dan Hillier who scored, Guy converted. 0-45. Straight from the restart Folkestone got the ball out to the three-quarters with Tom MacKenzie in the centre making 15 metres but Faversham tackled well but from a Folkestone lineout the ball was passed out to Aaron Robbins who made ground before passing out to Tom MacKenzie who supplied Freddie Faiers with a pass for Freddie Faiers to run round and complete his hat trick, Callum Guy adding the extra two points. 0-52.
Some changes were made with James Stewart coming off and Jake Ellis going back on, seeing Jake Ellis catch the restart kick and drive forward and speed, passing to Aaron Robbins and out to Luke Simpson who was tackled into touch. This saw the end of session three.
Several changes were made Freddie Faiers, Ben Stringer came off and Jack Cox and Adam Tolman (returning from injury to test his hamstring) came on.
From the restart by Faversham, Tom MacKenzie fielded the ball and made a good jinking run passing to Callum Guy who got his hat trick and converted. 0-59. James Stewart, Jack Cox (both back on) and Adam Tolman linked together well but the final tackle spilled the ball. From a scrum Jack Cox retrieved the ball and threaded his way forty metres to score his hattrick, Callum Guy again converted. 0-66.
Soon afterwards Adam Tolman was the beneficiary when a kick bounced of his knee which allowed him to go over for a try, converted by Callum Guy. 0-73.
The final score came when Adam Tolman covered 50 metres and cross kicked for Callum Guy to score his hat trick and convert it. 0-80.
With the final three tries coming in quick succession the Referee decided that Faversham had suffered enough and blew for full time.
This was a first workout for the 3rdXV bolstered by the 2nds but showed that the increased numbers at training meant that various moves could be used in a match situation with improved handling of the ball.

Team: Simpson; Freddie Faiers, Jack Cox, Aaron Robbins, Ross Clark (Capt.); Dan Hillier, Callum Guy; Kyle Shore, Gareth Webber, Dave Ballard; Kev Gurr, Ben Stringer; James Stewart, Justin Llyod-Cowden, Jake Ellis.
Substitutes: Connor Leather, Tom Davey, Kevin Murray, Tom MacKenzie,
Scorers: Freddie Faiers 3T; Callum Guy 3T, 10C; Luke Simpson 1T; Jack Cox 3T; Dan Hillier 1T; Adam Tolman 1T.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019



Meet time